18 Hours and Counting

The last time I slept until 7:37 a.m. was in March. I am serious. I am up by 5:30 a.m. daily.

In the Mommy Hood, the days are long, but the years are short. I always try to keep that in mind…especially on days that start at 2:30 a.m.

Despite my body’s daily cries at the crack of dawn–for coffee, for an extra five minutes of sleep, for the magical appearance of a Mommy stunt-double–I can’t seem to go to bed before 11:30 p.m. each night. The bags under my eyes are carrying their own bags at this point. Yet I keep repeating the abusive cycle night after night.

What the hell is wrong with me?

Sure, I am in a state of semi-panic about our upcoming Bat Mitzvah bash. I am being stalked by vendors, tailors, and emcees (I am crafting rhymes as good as can be expected from a white Jewish girl for the reception). Appointments, trials, pick-ups, drop-offs, returns, and thrilling chases for elusive last-minute must-haves are all-consuming. Oh, and I am hemorrhaging money. The aforementioned could keep a Mommy up at night, but that’s not really the problem (tapping into my inner Dr. Phil here).

It wouldn’t be fair to blame it all on my son, either. Yes, he was the reason my day began at 2:30 a.m. ( a suspicious 100.5 fever that has yet to reveal its cause), but he crashed before the evening news. And I am still wide awake at 10:30 p.m., feeling eerily alert, after an 18-hour day of toddler/teenager trials and tribulations. My day is not ending soon; I am about to put clothes in the dryer, restock Alex’s diaper bag, and clean up the livingroom. What gives? I can’t stop!

Mommies, do you have trouble turning it off at the end of the day? Am I the only one who complains about lack of sleep but doesn’t sleep when she can?

Please tell me I am not alone on this one…

This entry was posted in Baby, Bat Mitzvah, Family, Life, Mommy, Parents, Teenagers, Thoughts, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to 18 Hours and Counting

1. Mel says:

Oh, you are SO not alone, my friend! I am exhausted until about 9:30pm at which point I perk up with the thought of having “me” time (yeah, right!). That “me” time actually translates into business, correspondence and research time! Then I finally go to bed obscenely late only to repeat the entire process again mañana. It’s bizarre but I definitely will keep you company here, mama! And btw– you’re totally super-mom! That Batmitzvah sounds like it’s going to be an affair to remember!

• Mommy Dish says:

I thought about that….great point. I crave “me” time so bad that I get a second wind even though I should really crash. And my “me” time is really still “we” time–devoted to my family. Seriously.

So happy to hear I am not alone!

Here’s hoping I am planning an affair to remember! I am having a candy bar, so at least they’ll be high on sugar (the way to make anyone happy, really). : )

2. kelly cushing says:

I was thinking of my lack of sleep the other day and how many hours have been eliminated since I had Brady! All the things that need to get done, spending time with our husbands, having me time, etc….it never ends sorry to say! But you quickly adjust and it becomes a second thought until you totally crash! ha! I have a feeling you will catch up on sleep over the summer! 🙂

• Mommy Dish says:

It scares me how much I have readily adjusted to getting almost no sleep. It was insane that I was wide awake after being up and at ’em for 18 hours. Crazy. I hope I catch up on some sleep this summer! Your mouth to G-d’s ears!

3. MIchelle says:

No kids, no husband. I do not sleep either. It’s an epidemic, across all kinds of households.

4. Adam says:

Too funny…

5. MotherofThree says:

I feed my son his bottle at 7:15 every night. Change his diaper 7:30. and put him in his crib!!
    Wash bottles..Make the next days bottles..pack up diaper bag for grammas for the next day..Pick up living room and kitchen..Then pour my wine. (Everynight)
    I feel like a robot. :9) But wouldn’t have it any other day!!

• Mommy Dish says:

Haha I call us Mommybots who love Mommyjuice (wine)! Right there with you…I wouldn’t have it any other way, either. : )

6. Mommy Dish says:

My life is pure material. Humor comes easily!!