Sucker!

Am I the only Mommy who is a complete and total sucker for her kids?

Let’s recap the past 48-hours.

Ashley and her BFF before school this morning. They walked through the big intimidating doors of high school for the first time together. : )

Last night, I was bamboozled into hosting a “night-before-the-biggest-day-of-my-teenage-life” sleepover complete with a nervous gigglefest, last-minute wardrobe consult, new episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and homemade birthday cake. On the very first school night.

I wrote the playbook on playing parents. And, despite a textbook case of Mommybrain, I haven’t forgotten one fake-out. Ashley returned home from getting her mandatory back to school mani/pedi yesterday with a classic divide-and-conquer maneuver, asking Scott and I separately if her BFF could sleepover. She knew I’d be the one to tackle my husband into submission if necessary.

How good will I feel when Ashley recounts her first day of High School with a smile on her face someday because I inconvenienced myself a little bit (okay, a lot) on a Monday night? I am an absolute sucker for making memories.

They say you shouldn't cry over spilled milk, but that's not true when you don't feel well. My poor little guy had to suffer through a trip to the supermarket after another doctor's visit, but it was to get stuff he needed. I would do anything for him!

And my son? At 15-months-old he already plays me like a favorite lovey. All he has to do is whimper when he is not feeling well and I create a makeshift bed from couch cushions (if the initial cry is before midnight) or camp out crib side on the bare floor to cater to his every need. I don’t simply listen to him on my baby monitor from the comfort of my king-sized bed under my cozy covers. Oh no, no, no. A sleepover in Alex’s room was required the night before the teenager sleepover.

What’s the big deal if my neck doesn’t move for a week afterwards? Who cares if I lay there wide awake with Lionel Ritchie’s “All Night Long” on instant replay in my head (I tend to gravitate towards 80s hits in the wee hours of the morning)? So what if I spend more money on K-cups than the average alcoholic does on bar tabs? All Alex has to do is turn over in his sleep and I am there with open arms, a sippy cup, and Children’s Advil. I am a sucker for first ear infections.

With my beloved baby boy at one of his three doctor's visits for a stupid ear infection that resisted the first round of antibiotics. Poor Alex!

Really, I am just a sucker for my kids. Are you a sucker for yours? Fess up, Mommies.

***Ashley’s BFF celebrated her 15th Birthday over the weekend so I had to surprise her with a cake. I prepared a chocolate cake–my favorite recipe from Ina Garten–and drizzled it with my own icing. The cake did not last 24-hours in my house.***

Chocolate Bundt Cake with Vanilla Drizzle

Cake Ingredients

Butter, for greasing the pan

1 3/4 cups flour, plus more for the pan

2 cups sugar

3/4 cups good cocoa powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 cup buttermilk, shaken

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee

Icing ingredients

1 stick of butter softened

Confectioner’s sugar, to taste (start out with 3-4 tablespoons and add to your desired level of sweetness)

1 teaspoon good-quality vanilla

Milk–just a little bit to thin it out

Method

Combine the first three ingredients together using a whisk. Taste for sweetness and add more sugar, if desired. Add milk to thin it out. Set aside.

Method

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a bundt pan.

Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then transfer onto a cooling rack and cool completely.

Drizzle with icing. Enjoy!

This entry was posted in back to school, Dishes, Family, Food, Friends, Kids, Life, Parents, recipes, Teenagers, Thoughts, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Sucker!

1. Kelly says:

You’re not the only one trust me! Everytime Brady is sick we sleep on the pullout couch together so I can hear him breathing, wake up for meds, juice, etc. It’s what we do! You should play the love songs after dark station that goes all night long instead of having to torture yourself with Lionel Richie! 🙂 We’ve had many nights listening to the sappy songs! But wouldn’t change it for the world as I write this on his 4th bday! Love the outfit btw that you helped Ashley pick out for the first day! She’ll have wonderful memories forever thanks to you and Scott! Cheers! xoxo

• Mommy Dish says:

Yes, Alex is not old enough for the pull-out couch. When we couch it, he sleeps on me (even better). I feel like I will always worry, always be attached to his hip, and always want to be with him when he’s sick (or well haha). You’re right…it’s what we do, even though it is exhausting. Took Alex back to pediatrician today and now he has double ear infection; third round of antibiotics. No sleep for me in the near future. I am tired…bone tired…but wouldn’t trade my life being Alex’s Mommy for anything in the whole world, and I know that’s hour you feel about your son, too.

2. Steph says:

I’m such a sucker for my kids! When they were little they didn’t realize what a sucker I am, but now they do. Sometimes it’s not so good because they realize how powerless I am to their charms…but I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s true, my heart walks outside of my body through my kids.

3. Oh, you are so not alone! Mine are only 5yo and 7mo, but I slept on the floor with my 1st for 15 months because he had a recurring case of bronchialitis. Depending on the season, we either camped out on his floor (sleeping bag with two blankets for cushioning and a comforter for warmth), or on the floor in the den (sleeping bag and comforter with a light blanket for warmth). I think it was something in the air at his daycare because every time he got the sniffles, it morphed into bronchialitis, and it stopped as soon as I quit my job and he didn’t go to daycare anymore. That was 3 years ago, and I still will camp out with him (or hubby will sleep on the couch) if he gets more than just a cold. We’ve been lucky with the youngling…he hasn’t had more than a cold yet. (Knock on wood!)

I’m so hoping that after finding the perfect outfit and allowing a sleepover on the first school night kept you in SuperMom status for more than a day…especially with that cake!

4. Mommy Dish says:

Sounds like you went through a terrible time until you pulled your LO out of daycare! You’re a dedicated Mommy for sure. : ) It’s the only way to be!!

Alex has never been in daycare and still caught an ear infection that resists antibiotics. As of today we are on our third round, and I will not sleep anytime soon.

Yes, the cake was AWESOME!! I usually make a frosting for it, but wanted something lighter and more festive looking. It was so good. Give it a try!

5. Katie E. says:

Yep, I’m such a sucker for my kids! (And how cute is your son’s sad little face???) I’ve tried to get a little bit better over the years because I don’t want to actually spoil them, but I’ll definitely do extra, even if it’s a giant pain for me, to give them a great experience that I think will be a wonderful memory for life. My most recent major example – I took both my girls and three of their friends, along with my baby boy, (with no other grown-ups) to Great Wolf Lodge this summer. A bit crazy to do by myself with six kids, but totally worth it to see how much fun they had, and my oldest is still saying it was the greatest day of her life (I think that will change).

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a little bit of a sucker for your kids. And they definitely know you love the, don’t they?

• Mommy Dish says:

You are one brave Momy taking six kids on a trip! Seriously, I give you credit for that! You are a sucker for making memories.

I worry about spoiling, too…it’s just so hard not to. : )

Thanks for the compliment about my son. I, of course, think he is the cutest little boy happy or sad. He is edible.

Thanks for reading! Please vote for Mommy Dish as Parents Magazine’s Best Mom Blog (funniest): http://blog-awards.parents.com/blog-awards/mom_blogs/241-mommy-dish