Pregnancy Panic

Can you recall that Momicidal feeling watching your husband sleep soundly (or snore loudly) while you lay there, wide awake, in a pregnancy panic?  The endless questions, coupled with multiple urges to pee after midnight, are a form of No Doz. Do I really remember how to change a diaper from my babysitting days? What am I supposed to do with a little defenseless baby? Did I pick the right colors for the nursery? Is my water going to break in the produce section of the supermarket? What do I pack in my hospital bag? Am I going to be a good Mommy?

The nervous excitement of impending Mommyhood is enough to drive any Mom-to-be to the sundae bar. My friend Kim–7 months pregnant with a baby boy– is eating ice cream before bed and sleeping in 2-to-3-hour increments every night. I remember loudly scraping the sides of my bowl to quiet the doubts in my brain all too well.

Nothing like a Quincy Market stroll after a long lunch for two lovebirds!

Today, I drove into Boston to give Kim a booster seat of confidence–Alex James– over lunch. I hoped my son would be on his best behavior–i.e. no high-pitched screams to scare patrons mid-bite, no spontaneous hunger strike, no breakdancing to try to wiggle out of his seat–so Kim would leave with that intoxicating I’ve got this feeling instead of I don’t think I can do this doubt. And, once again, my little wing man delivered.

Besides a new lettuce fetish that prompted him to lift a leaf or two off her plate, Alex was incredible. He couldn’t take his eyes off of her (I don’t blame him, really–she’s one of those annoyingly perfect pregnant women who looks like herself except with a beautiful baby bump), and they spent the entire meal talking, playing, and flirting. If Alex were a little older I would have felt like the third wheel. They connected.

Whether she realized it or not, it was clear Kim’s a natural Mommy–she questioned if Alex could eat the lettuce he shoplifted off of her plate, worried about him choking on a bottle cap, and reached for new toys when she could see he was getting bored. She laughed genuinely, smiled warmly, and loved freely–all while rubbing her own belly from time to time. Kimmy, you’ve got this. Put your ice cream spoon down (or if you still have a craving try the dish below). You know just what to do.

I wish I still had the preggers excuse to eat this sweet treat!

Pregnancy Panic Cure-All

Ingredients

1 boxed chocolate cake, prepared to package directions

Vanilla ice cream

Shredded coconut

Slivered almonds

Whipped cream

Method

Preheat over to 350. Place a serving of shredded coconut and slivered almonds on a cookie sheet and bake until toasted (golden brown).  Set aside.

Crumble chocolate cake and press into an individual bowl. Add a layer of ice cream, and sprinkle with coconut and almonds. Add another layer of cake and top with whipped cream. Garnish with toasted almonds and coconut. You’ll forget all of your troubles!

This entry was posted in Baby, Dishes, Food, Friends, Kids, Mommy, Parents, recipes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Pregnancy Panic

1. Jeff says:

Excellent post. Glad to hear Kim will be a great mommy! If Alex were older I might have to start worrying. But c’mon, was Kim really eating lettuce?

• Mommy Dish says:

If you must know the lettuce was piled high on her plate, and that’s probably what prompted Alex to start stealing it. And, yes, my son is a player already–at 13 months–this kid has got game. Give him a little time, and you’ll be shaking in your cowboy boots! : )

I love your wife. She was wonderful with Alex (never doubted she would be; she’s one of my favorite people!), and will be the best Mommy to your baby boy. Congrats, Daddy-to-be!

2. Michele Goldman says:

No pregnancy problems here but I do think this could make me forget anything…YUM!!

• Mommy Dish says:

It’s delicious…and will definitely make you forget all of your troubles until the last bite! I can’t guarantee anything after that. : )

3. Kelly says:

I remember crying to my mom after my baby shower looking at all of his stuff and saying what if I can’t do this or don’t know what he needs! But as soon as he was in my arms it just kicked in!

• Mommy Dish says:

Every Mommy has a form of pregnancy panic; it’s part of the journey. But, you’re right, when your little one arrives natural instinct kicks in!

4. Melissa says:

Awesome post!!! I remember all too well that prego panic! I used to wake up in a cold sweat having had nightmares of forgetting to FEED my baby! Now I know that’s virtually impossible! I used to wonder how would I know what to do? I can barely get my OWN schedule together. And then the baby was born and it was love at first sight and we just got to know each other! I know Kim is going to be an amazing mom. I remember how funny she is and humor has actually been the best tool in my mommyhood bag thus far! She’s going to rock!!! Oh, and she looks amazing. I should really hate her. 😉

5. Nichole says:

Great post! Kimmie looks great, as she always does! She is a great wife and friend and will be an even more amazing mother! I can wait to see her in action with her new baby boy.

6. Mommy Dish says:

Oh, I wrote that initially–don’t hate her because she looks phenomenal–but opted to call her annoying instead. The girl looks gorgeous!

Great advice, Mommy! I know she’ll appreciate it. You’re right–it is love at first sight and you just get to know each other. It’s all about instinct and love, and it always works out.

7. Tracy says:

Never had any doubts Kim would be an amazing Mommy. She’s got this in the bag & so does Daddy. Hahahaha I thought the same thing about the lettuce too. She is perfectly pregnant too…so cute with her baby bump. Love you tons Sis…it’s almost here.
    Xoxo
    The Auntie To Be

• Mommy Dish says:

You’re right–they will both be great parents!!

Kimmy is the most adorable pregnant woman ever. If I didn’t love her so much I’d hate her! Simply adorable, and she will undoubtedly be an incredible Mommy.

If you’re on Facebook, please like Mommy Dish (I’d appreciate it!): http://www.facebook.com/mommydish

8. Amie says:

Love it! And you KNOW that Kimmy will be a great Mommy! (And she’ll get plenty of help/advice from friends, family, etc.)

9. Jan says:

No pregnancy panic here, but the Pregnancy Panic Cure-All sounds yummy!!! I’ll have to try it!!!

10. Mommy Dish says:

It’s so good, and so easy to make! I love it.

11. Insightful info. I am going to want a bit of time to toy with the website:D

12. aww you’re such a sweet friend to do that!!!! I’m betting your friend appreciated it.